The Kenya Publishers Association (KPA) is calling for the submission on entries for this year’s Wahome Mutahi Literary Award. Both members and non-members of KPA are eligible to enter. Submissions should include five copies of the book, which are not returnable. The entry fee for members is Sh5,000, while that of non-members is Sh10,000. Entries should be received at the KPA secretariat by March 31, 2010. The Wahome Mutahi Literary Award was started by KPA in honour of the late humorist and author, for his contribution to the written word in Kenya. Judges pick out the book that use humor and satire to explore areas such as human rights, governance, etiquette and other relevant social issues. The first edition of the prize, awarded after every two years, was held in 2006 and was won by Onduko bw’ Atebe’s book, The Verdict of Death. Okoiti Omtata won the 2008 edition with his play Voice of the People.
These are the rules and regulations from the Kenya Publishers Association.
The Wahome Mutahi Literary Award is the brain-child of the Kenya Publishers Association. It was established in 2004 and is open to Kenyan writers whose work is published in Kenya. The prize will be given bi-annually to the author of the most outstanding new book that will use humor and satire to explore areas such as human rights, governance, etiquette and other relevant social issues in the following categories:
a. English and
The Prize will be presented during the 13th Nairobi International Book Fair to be held in September 2010.
RULES GOVERNING THE AWARD
The following rules must be adhered to:
1. Eligible entries for the 2010 Prize are those books published in 2008 and 2009 respectively.
2. Any original work of fiction written in English or Kiswahili will be eligible.
3. All entries must be submitted through the publisher.
4. In order to qualify, all entries submitted must be published in Kenya.
5. Generally, any book submitted should have a minimum of 48 pages.
6. Only published works are eligible
7. The quality of content will be the overriding criterion. The following however must be taken into consideration when submitting a title: quality of binding, cover design, quality of paper, quality of illustrations where applicable, and general layout.
8. Five non-returnable copies of the submitted title(s), accompanied by an entry form must be sent to the undersigned as soon as possible but not later than March, 31st 2010. A summary of the work and reasons for its suitability must be submitted together with the entry form.
9. The decision of the Judging Panel and the Awards Committee for the Wahome Mutahi Literary Award will be final. No further correspondence will be entered into in connection with the Award.
Mailing Address: The Executive Officer
Kenya Publishers Association
P.O. Box 42767, 00100
Physical Address: Kenya Publishers Association
Muthithi Road, Westlands